Re: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: Re: Scheme Programming Reference
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:31:44 +0000 (GMT)
Paul Tyson writes:
 > I will argue it.  The "SGML Handbook" is and always will be the
 > definitive reference work on SGML.
I don't deny it. but you dont argue against my contention that it
put a million people off

 > Handbook.  Although it's subject matter is much narrower, I place it
 > alongside Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming", Abelson's and
 > Sussman's "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs", and
 > Hofstadter's "Goedel, Escher, Bach" among the most elegant treatments of
ah, the great trio of "Yes I had a copy of that but never read it"
books.

 > easy and pretty.  We were fortunate that the chief architect of SGML was
 > also quite literate.
well, I studied Byzantine literature for my degree, so I might
appreciate it, but I am not sure I class Charles as a great writer
(despite his many other obvious merits)

 > is there any chance someone can collect information from members of the
 > ISO working group that created DSSSL?
wouldnt they say they put their collective wisdom into the standard?
actually, I don't find it so bad. Its the presentation thats execrable
(lack of indexing, running heads etc ).

 > deceptively simple, but far from self-apparent.  I myself would like
 > everyone to think in DSSSL for formatting and transforming documents,
 > but that is unrealistic to say the least.
er, if you think its too complicated for Jane Public to understand,
why exactly are we promoting it?

sebastian