Re: DSSSL for the Java Virtual Machine (SENG)

Subject: Re: DSSSL for the Java Virtual Machine (SENG)
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:03:48 -0500
Quoting Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Does anyone know what happened to the SENG DSSSL engine?
> I know that Copernican Solutions has gone out of business.
> I contacted several people involved  but I did not reach
> Alex Milowski, the CEO.

   I spoke to Alex a couple of times, some months ago.  He didn't
indicate any specific plans for SENG, but seemed to say that the
company he's working with now (which basically acquired Copernican's
R&D resources, mainly Alex himself, and got rid of their consulting
business) may have some plans for it.
   I believe SENG was left with having a mostly complete style
language, but only one backend which spits out some kind of
representation of an FOT.  So, no actual formatted output.  I'm not
sure SENG was ever really meant to be a complete DSSSL environment in
ready-to-use form like Jade, but more as a framework for creating
DSSSL-based applications.
   I was sad to see SENG get left behind, too, especially as there
were indications that it was going to include a transformation
language implementation, as well.  In fact, I believe Alex once told
me that Henry Thompson was somehow involved in that.  Of course,
Henry's own project is to include that at some point, as well.  Any
word on that Henry?  (I know I already bugged you about this in
private, but since I didn't hear back, now I'm going public! :)

-Brandon :)