RE: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: RE: Scheme Programming Reference
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:38:52 -0400
Hi Allan,

Allan said:
Whatever is done, there should be good illustrations.

In Neil Bradley's "XML Companion", he has a section on DSSSL styles in
his dicsussion of what was carried over to XSL.

He describes a few flow objects used by XSL, and each (or most) of the
examples have illustrations showing the components or processes
involved. This helped me quite a bit.

DSSSL is quite abstract and hard to visualize, no matter how good the
description is. A text that describes a standard that deals with layout
should by nature contain illustrations of almost Everything.

Didier says:
I agree with you. I read this book and liked the flow object illustrations.
In my current article about the "flow object of the month : the paragraph
Flow object". I' ve been inspired but this book. I am currently illustrating
also the area concept and the area container concept. I discovered that
these two spatial objects are fundamental to DSSSL. What remains to discover
now is:

What are the common properties for all areas?

In CSS all objects are based on the box visual object. The box object has
been defined with a core set of properties. I am trying to dig if this is
the case for the area object (which is equivalent to the CSS box object). I
am trying to see if, even if this is not said, in the specs, there is
implicit commmon properties to all areas. Or maybe someone already has the
answer?

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx