Re: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: Re: Scheme Programming Reference
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:09:00 -0400 (EST)
At 23 Jun 1999 12:36 -0400, Darrell W. Royter wrote:
 > I am fairly new to the world of DSSSL. I'd love to learn more, but I agree
 > with everyone who says that there just isn't a solid reference for the
 > beginner. I think SGML is a powerful language and maybe the reason it loses
 > ground to XML is that there are better books on the topic. If more people

That is not the reason.

 > understood DSSSL, XML might not be so hot. I think there is an urgent need

That's a bit of a stretch.  If more people understood DSSSL, DSSSL
might not be dismissed as being dead quite so often, but that still
wouldn't dent XML's current mindshare.

 > to get more support for DSSSL at the beginner level.

This I agree with.  Unfortunately, we've been saying the same thing
since 1997 but still haven't achieved it.  Some of the best written
material for DSSSL is actually in early XML books, since for a while
XML was going to use a subset of DSSSL for its styling.  There is some
DSSSL material scattered around the Web, but we still don't have the
definitive resource.  Every time the subject comes up, there's a lot
of agreement and a lot of good intentions, but we still don't have it.

Sometimes I think I squandered the initial enthusiasm for the DSSSL
Documentation Project, but the project still has popular appeal, and
no-one else has produced a DSSSL book either, so that can't be the
only reason why we don't have even one DSSSL book.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632