Re: HR element

Subject: Re: HR element
From: Nik Clayton <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:25:31 +0100
On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 01:41:59PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Guillaume Rouchy <rouchyg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
> | Using the docbook DTD and Norman Walsh's Modular Stylesheets for an HTML
> | backend, I would like to produce an HR element whenever I want... Is
> | there an existing element in the docbook that allow me to easily produce
> | one ?
>
> There's nothing designed to do exactly what you want. (Aside: I
> can't quite imagine the semantic significance of an HR
> interjected randomly in a document, but that's none of my
> business, I guess ;-)
>
> I can think of two elements that are good candidates for tag
> abuse: anchor and beginpage.

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but wouldn't this be a good use
for a processing instruction?

    <?html literal="<br>"?>

Or something like that?

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>