Re: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: Re: Scheme Programming Reference
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Jun 1999 19:29:36 -0400
Paul, its interesting you mention SICP.  I think a DSSSL book, rather
like SICP, should be written in a manner that assumes programming
experience but not necessarily Scheme experience.  If you look at
SICP, the authors actually teach scheme kinda "on the sly" while
really teaching about abstraction, modularity, and good programming
style.

I think a DSSSL book should be written similarly.  Don't actually
teach Scheme per se, but just introduce the bits of syntax one by one,
explaining as you go.  Keep the user focussed on the problem of how to
render documents.  I think such an interative, approach, starting very
simply and working up to complex DSSSL examples, would work quite
well.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>