The term "grove" as an acronym

Subject: The term "grove" as an acronym
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:16:22 -0400
At 99/06/23 08:15 -0500, Daniel Mahler wrote:
>Groves, is not quite an acronym of "Graphs of Propertied Values".

I was very lucky to be present at the ISO meeting in Dublin when groves
where introduced (I'm the Canadian chair of CAC/ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34, then
SC 18/WG 8).

The English term "grove" as a "grouping of trees", proposed by those
intimate with the DSSSL development process, seemed to be an excellent
catchy name.

In one of the (frequent and enjoyable) bouts of levity during the ISO
meeting (that itself may be difficult to believe, but the personalities
working in the area of markup standardization are quite wonderful and
respectful of each other's capabilities and contributions, all under the
sage guidance of James Mason), someone (I think it was Eliot) retrofit the
phrase "Graphic Representation of Object Value Equivalences" to much hilarity.

A fond memory .....

p.s. - tomorrow, at a lunch that has been arranged for over a month, I will
be lobbying a new member of my committee to take up the cause of the
maintenance of DSSSL at the ISO level ... we'll see what happens

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/d/