RE: Unregistered flow objects

Subject: RE: Unregistered flow objects
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:20:32 +0900
Darrell W. Royter wrote:
> I'm not sure I fully understand what the purpose is of unregistered flow
> objects. It seems that you make one declaration of them at the outset of
> your DSSSL, then go about creating your file. How does Jade know how to
> process them?

They are defined in the backend. Jade has a set of standard flow objects
which are available to every backend, plus an extension mechanism that lets
particular backends define their own flow objects and inherited
characteristics. For example, the "element" flow object that was mentioned
in Holger's post appears in the C++ class TransformFOTBuilder, which
implements the SGML and XML backends.

>And if it is as simple as a one line declaration, why aren't
> they in Jade to begin with?

Because it's not that simple. The declaration is like a switch that enables
you to use them. They're unavailable by default because they don't appear in
the standard.

--FC