Did I goof, once again ?

Subject: Did I goof, once again ?
From: Jany Quintard <quintard.j@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:09:51 +0200 (MEST)
I am trying to build links to another documents in my HTML output file.
I use the sgml backend.
What I do is :
from a l element
1 - get the ldescs element on another branch of the tree.
2 - select the nmlist descendant of ldescs whose parent (a nameloc) has an
    ID matching the linkend attribute of the l element.
3 - get the value of its docname attribute (an entity)
4 - get the system-id of the entity.

First, I am not sure that it is the best way to do it, but It works fine,
except for step 2.
Here is a part of my stylesheet :

(element l
  (make element
        gi: "A"
        attributes:
          (list
            (list "href"
              (string-append
                (entity-system-id
                  (attribute-string "docname"
                    (select-elements
                      (descendants (ldescs (current-node)))
                        '("nameloc"
!ERROR                     ("ID" (attribute-string "linkend") )
"nmlist"))))
                "#" (attribute-string "linkend"))))
    (process-children)))

Jade complains :
jade:/xo/vpp/dsssl-dev/xohtml03.dsl:193:34:E: bad value for attributes
qualifier in pattern

If I replace (attribute-string "linkend") by a string, on the line tagged
ERROR, jade runs fine.
I don't understand where the problem is, because attribute-string returns
a string and this function works fine two lines later.

Does anyone see where I goofed ?

TIA. Jany