RE: html to dsssl ?

Subject: RE: html to dsssl ?
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:13:00 +0000 (GMT)
Didier PH Martin writes:
 > I would say mainly marketing instead. W3C is doing a very good public
 > relation job. Its members too. So, it is not a question of language virtues
 > but more of marketing.

We are back here again. The W3C did not invent XSL in opposition to
DSSSL. It formed a group to look at a `DSSSL for the Web' and that
group (including many DSSSLers) reluctantly decided to switch
syntax. If they could have persuaded people to use (), they would have.

 > I agree that if the general population has trouble learning abstract
 > formatting objects these two languages are in trouble. In this sense, CSS
 > has more chances because it only support a limited set of basic objects:
 > page, block, inline. Easier to remember :-)

we probably agree that if CSS takes over the world, we can all just
leave the room; last one out turn off the light of real typesetting...

 > more sophisticated page model for variable margins. This is a must for most
 > book publishing. OpenJade has to be improved on this side. Also, a PDF
 > backend would greatly help for printing and pre-viewing the result. This is
 > in the "to do" list :-)

You have a PDF backend, using a very sophisticated page makeup engine
(TeX). Since we can see that even TeX has problems with DSSSL, there
is a way to go. I repeat, the DSSSL model is almost entirely _unproven_

 > Sebastian said:
 > do I, as a user, care what the implementation language is? no....
 >
 > Didier says:
 > but you may care about the speed no?

minimally.

 > Didier says:
 > Or have some concept form XSL imported into OpenJade. the goal is not

Didier, you are born to be a TeX person!

 > necessarily to copycat XSL and to copy its flaws (and good sides too) or

good lord, XSL is still in _draft_, and you talk about learning from
its flaws????? why not get in there and make XSL right????

Sebastian