RE: html to dsssl ?

Subject: RE: html to dsssl ?
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:59:32 +0100 (BST)
Didier PH Martin writes:
 > The best solution and the fastest also is:
 > scenario 1:
 > a) transformation from SGML/XML into Tex
 > b) rendition in techexplorer

clearly impossible as it stands. techexplorer is simply not that. you
could write a similar plugin to render Jade TeX output (of some kind)
but to give quality superior to your average HTML browser requires
something of real sophisticated. techexploer is NOT sophisticated. It
does a reasonable screen rendering of a fair amount of LaTeX, and
(naturally) deals with math nicely. As preparation for serious
printout, it won't cut it.

 > Scenario 1 and 2 are a lot faster. Also, the best scenario for me is to fix
 > only DSSSL bugs and not having to fix other bugs in other languages, this is

DSSSL not specify how to break lines, make paragraphs, make pages,
place floats etc. you cant get this for free anywhere....

I do wonder where this is going; if you want immediate download
gratification, then whats wrong with HTML as a page description
language, enhanced with SVG in due course? I never saw/see the TeX
output from Jade as being of use for other than high-quality print
versions, assembled at leisure. Maybe I am just behind the times.

Sebastian