Re: html to dsssl ?

Subject: Re: html to dsssl ?
From: Boris Goldowsky <boris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:22:03 -0400 (EDT)
In terms of integrating templates with DSSSL output, one good way is
to include SHTML or PHP includes in your DSSSL output --

  (define (server-side-include file)
    (make formatting-instruction
      data: (string-append "<!--#include virtual=\"" %ssi-dir% file "\"-->")))

So that the template code is stored in a separate file on the web
server, which can be changed without having to re-run Jade.

For other types of data, we generate just an HTML fragment with Jade,
and then have a PHP file that generates templates and reads in the
appropriate fragment for the body of the page.  Both of these
approaches work fine; SHTML is faster, while PHP is more flexible (a
complete programming language).

We've experimented with having Jade run dynamically to generate web
pages, but it turns out to be too slow for production use (given our
environment and purposes -- several seconds to generate a page in the
best case).  So we run Jade when the underlying data changes and store
the results for fast access when requested.

Bng
--
Boris Goldowsky            Engineering & Development Manager
Information Please, LLC    boris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx