RE: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)

Subject: RE: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:06:58 -0400
Hi Daniel,

Daniel said:
There is a reasonable chance that Alex Milowski will revive SENG
and make it OpenSource. The main precondition for this is that there is
*significant* interest. (see my message to the "Re: html to dsssl"
thread.
As far as I know. now there is only you [I presume], Brandon Ibach and
I,
which probably does not cut it)

Didier says:
Off course there is some interest for any DSSSL implementation as long as it
is better than the one we have actually. So, if that is the goal, go for it.
As long as it is fast, efficient and do the job we don't care what is under
the hood.

Daniel said:
At the moment I am looking into integrating Kawa with page compilers or
similar tools.
PolyJSP <http://www.plenix.org/polyjsp/> is an extensible free
implementation of JSP
which allows omultiple scripting languages to be used in html templates.
I am considering writing a Kawa-PolyJSP interface.
This should prove useful if SENG is revived.
It may also help persuade Alex to revive it.
Even if SENG is not revived it could still be used by loading
one of the upcoming Scheme implementations of DSSSL (like Grover) into
Kawa.
Another potential use of an open JVM based DSSSL engine
is to develop a backend for rendering in applets
like in the Swift
<http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5445/swift.html>
WWW equation viewer.

Didier says:
Good, there is life in the DSSSL world. As a DSSSL user I am happy to see
that life energy is back among us. As a OpenJade team member, I says, go for
it Daniel, having some competition is fun and challenging. So, go for it,
the OpenJade team will have some competition and some challenge. Don't wait
for an approval from the community. Bring the the community the best you can
do and let it decide what is the best.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx