Re: About Constructions rules

Subject: Re: About Constructions rules
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Jul 1999 17:40:24 -0400
Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The docs say so, but the code also has support for multi-threading
> on Mach (using cthreads) and Linux (using pthreads). Recently Adam Di
> Carlo offered apatch to make the cthreads support work on the GNU Hurd.
> This will appear in OpenJade 1.2.2.
>
> I don't know if it has been seriously tested on those platforms, though
> (I can say for sure that it hasn't on Linux, since I wrote that code).
> The pthreads support may work on other POSIX systems. To enable it,
> you have to compile with -DSP_USE_PTHREADS.

Interesting.  I just experimentally added a one-liner to configure.in
to look for libpthread and if found, enable SP_USE_PTHREADS.  I'm
testing this out now.  I guess we might want to think about (for
OpenJade) whether we want to in fact *assume* threading is desired if
available (which is the the current assumption for Win32 and MACH),
and, if so, whether we need to allow a configure switch to disable
it...

I'd be happy to patch configure.in to suit for OpenJade.  Let me know
how the defaulting should work.

BTW, Matthias, I don't know if we're enabling the MIF and HTML
backends by default in configure.in...  don't we need to change this
to match the Win32 build?

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>