Re: sgml-parse and GC

Subject: Re: sgml-parse and GC
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:19:13 -0500
Quoting Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> [Regarding an on-disk grove implementation with memory mapped files]
> What you would get is grove persistence over invocations of the style
> engine, which may or may not be a win.

   Of course, this would be dependent on how well it was managed.  For
instance, could we implement an effective "dependency" system, where
OpenJade would track the modification times and reparse a document
only when needed?  Of course, the benefits of this would depend upon
the application.  An application that has a lot of reuse of largely
static documents could probably benefit greatly.  One that hardly ever
reuses a document without it changing would not benefit much, if at
all.  I think it would be good to have, one way or another.

-Brandon :)