Re: ESIS, Groves and XML

Subject: Re: ESIS, Groves and XML
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:48:01 -0500
Quoting Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have not had a chance to read the specs on all this.
> Going by what read here on the list,
> this how I understand things so far.

   This, to me anyway, looks pretty accurate, though the proper term
for what you call "attributes" is "properties" (thus, a "property
set").  There are probably more property sets than you might think.
For example, HyTime has an extensive property set.  TechnoTeacher, the
company that produces GroveMinder, which is somewhat like Jade's
GroveManager (on steroids... :), but with a lot more to it, has been
involved in creating property sets for a variety of documents (or so I
understand it).
   A grove plan is usually a set of "modules", which are collections
of node "classes" and properties.  ESIS corresponds (approximately) to
the SGML Property Set modules baseabs, prlgabs0 (information about the
SGML Prolog) and instabs (information about the instance).  Sorry for
the repetition, but just wanted to make sure you were clear on that.
ESIS, I believe, existed well before the grove concept came into
being, so it doesn't correspond exactly with any known grove plan (so
far as I'm aware).

-Brandon :)