Re: About Constructions rules

Subject: Re: About Constructions rules
From: Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:23:41 -0500
Brandon Ibach wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Brandon Ibach wrote:
> > >    The DSSSL transformation spec could then take the parsed document,
> > > create an auxiliary grove, which would be the architectural instance
> > > of the scripting elements, and process the whole thing, utilizing the
> > > links from the auxiliary grove back to the document instance to pull
> > > in the non-architectural (HTML, in this case) stuff as needed.
> >
> > I am not sure I understand this, but it sounds exciting.
> > Could you provide a hypothetical example?
> >

>    Here, <htmlscript> has been declared in the DTD to have a content
> model of a single <html> element, but with all of the scripting
> elements (which are architectural elements from the scripting

That makes it clear.
Actually, I just did not know about inclusions;
they are not in XML.
I just read up on them now.

> architecture) as inclusions, meaning they can show up basically
> anywhere in the HTML. The idea of using a special kind of entity
> reference (the &$i; construct) for variable references is something
> I've been toying with.  Whether it can be made to work without totally
> twisting the DSSSL engine is another matter. :)

I have read something on short references.
My undertanding is that you could set up short refences
for architectural variable dereferencing and array access tags
in the SGML Declaration.
Alternatively you could have a single architectural tag for complex
expressions,
again with a suitable short form.
You would probaly want to declare a notation type for this tag.

Daniel