RE: sgml-parse and GC

Subject: RE: sgml-parse and GC
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:58:06 -0400
Hi Peter

Peter said:
Maybe sgml-parse-no-cache (as an external procedure) would be easier,
since it is the grove that is cached (not node lists in general). It
would:
- Check if sysid is in cache and return the cached grove.
- Otherwise load it but not put it in the cache.

Hopefully, the reference counting mechanism will keep the nodes in memory
as long as necessary, but I'm not sure.

Shouldn't be hard trying.

Didier says:
This is an interesting approach. If I understand you well, the grove itself
is marked for caching or not. All users of that grove object do a addref on
it, if ref is zero we can release it.

I'll work on this idea on paper.
model 1:
the grove object has a ref count and each users of the grove do addrefs. If
processing is completed on a root node (recursive calls finished) then the
ref count is decremented and if equal to zero the grove is released. In this
case, we don't need a special construct
model 2:
we mark the grove object for caching or not, when processing is finished on
a root node (recursive calls finished) then we release the grove object. we
need a new constructs.

OK, now let's dig in the code for feasibility :-)

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com