Re: Why has inline-space length-specs?

Subject: Re: Why has inline-space length-specs?
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:00:48 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > Hello DSSSLers,
> >
> But eg the inline-space-space characteristic of character FOs is inherited,
> isn't it? Thus you should be able to specify it on a displayed flow parent,
> making use of its display-size, I guess.

I don't think so since:

- display-size returns the display size of the value flow object
- inheritedc-c evaluates the value for the characteristic c of its flow
  parent with the value flow object *unchanged* (i.e. set to the flow
  object for which the characteristic is specified). (The specification
  flow object is set to the flow parent however.)
- If an inherited characteristic c is not specified (and there is no
  styles or overriding styles and all that), the default value is
  (inherited-c)
- Hence the display-size call should be invalid for an inline fo.

(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

This is interresting not only because it is fun to read the standard back
and forth:-) but also since the FOTBuilder::LengthSpec struct has a
displaySizeFactor member (as it should). But what should I do with it in
an inline space? Just ignore it?

Regards,
/Peter
--