RE: About multiple output documents from a single XML/SGML processed document

Subject: RE: About multiple output documents from a single XML/SGML processed document
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:09:23 +0300
On Thursday, August 12, 1999 04:54, Didier PH Martin
[SMTP:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> that a solution would be to add a new characteristic to the
> simple-page-sequence and this new characteristic would be used to create a
> new output file or, said differently, create a new flow object tree. Is
> this
> a viable solution?

I would rather not extend the dsssl model any more than necessary, as this
would probably involve modifying all backends and losing compatibility to
other dsssl engines. The simple solution exists today: run Jade once per
output file, with parametrized stylesheets. It could be optimized to use a
single invocation of the program, so as to minimize the parsing necessary,
but no more.

Something like

    jade -d 'xform1.dsl | (style1.dsl; style2.dsl; (xform2.dsl |
style3.dsl))' something.sgml

with some way to name output files (this example produces three output
files, two of them transformed once and styled once, and one file
transformed twice and styled once).

This is actually useful; I have a 10-pass stylesheet which produces around 5
output files in 3 different formats. Just looking at the makefile makes me
dizzy.

---
"The only words which have meaning are the last ones spoken"