RE: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs

Subject: RE: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:31:35 +0900
Didier wrote:
> Also, the actual Document Description and Processing Languages ISO chapter
> is mandated to handle the DSSSL future. And, do not worry about
> hijackers, I
> am a member of the CAC/ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC34 committee and I intent to follow
> the rules and procedures of my committee and of my ISO chapter as well.
> More particularly ken and me expressed the will to present a draft
> specifications to our fellow ISO colleagues for discussion, amendments,
> approvals or for more formal work with other commitees.
>
> James Mason also called for action from members of this list to be part of
> the process by joining their local ISO committees so that their knowledge
> and wisdom about DSSSL could enrich the ISO process.

That is all well and good, but it seems like you are flying into this
without any sense of purpose besides making something "new." Fixing
inconsistencies and errors in the standard are obviously things one wants to
accomplish in a revision. But what are the other things that are up for
grabs? For example, are we allowed to break backward compatibility? To what
degree? Are we allowed to delete things from the standard? Are extensions
acceptable? What must be preserved?

I don't understand what the scope of the revision is supposed to be at all.

--FC