Per-language processing (was: Pass parameter to Jade?)

Subject: Per-language processing (was: Pass parameter to Jade?)
From: Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Aug 1999 14:43:09 +0100

0> In article <vafn1vwt00i.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kai wrote:

Kai> Of course, there must be two style sheets, one for producing
Kai> German output and one for producing English output.  Thus, it
Kai> isn't necessary to pass information to Jade other than the style
Kai> sheet.
Kai>
Kai> (Our style sheets contain literal text which of course differs
Kai> between English and German.)

If you do it right, you can take advantage of DSSSL's cascade to have
(say) the English one "inherit" from the German one, overriding only
the constant strings:

<!-- untested -->
<STYLE-SHEET>
  <STYLE-SPECIFICATION ID="foo.en" USE="foo.de">
    <STYLE-SPECIFICATION-BODY>
<![CDATA[

(define %text.section% "Section")
(define %text.toc%     "Table of Contents")
;; etc...

]]>
    </STYLE-SPECIFICATION-BODY>
  </STYLE-SPECIFICATION>

  <STYLE-SPECIFICATION ID="foo.de">
  <!-- or do this via an EXTERNAL-SPECIFICATION -->
    <STYLE-SPECIFICATION-BODY>
<![CDATA[

;; Don't blame me if these translations are bad -
;; they're Altavista's fault!
(define %text.section% "Kapitel")
(define %text.toc%     "Inhaltsverzeichnis")
;; etc...

;; style rules - or you could have these in another
;; STYLE-SPECIFICATION that is USEd by both foo.de and foo.en
(root
  ;; and all the rest of your style rules
  )

]]>
    </STYLE-SPECIFICATION-BODY>
  </STYLE-SPECIFICATION>
</STYLE-SHEET>

Then your command line is something like

$ jade -t rtf -d "foo.dsl#foo.$DOCLANG" foo.sgml