RE: Groves processing in OpenJade

Subject: RE: Groves processing in OpenJade
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:00:44 -0400
Hi Adam

Adam said:
>It's actually just meant to be a Scheme Grove toolkit to help
>encourage programmers to play around with groves.  Jade is a lot of
>things, but a toolkit for programmers it is *not*.  The idea with
>grover is to have a lightweight toolkit for playing around with groves
>(not just running DSSSL), and representing things like databases or
>LDAP data sources as groves and then programming with them as groves.

>In short, to explore how groves really helps the programmer by
>providing "addressable enterprise data".

Didier says:
Adam, This is exactly what I am working on actually (in my paid job, not
OpenJade), a grove engine with multiple interface. I have just finished
interfacing with LDAP, NDS, NT and the windows shell (I know you don't like
them - but I have to pay the bills :-), now I am interfacing with relational
data bases and the file system. My property set are becoming quite complex.
It is funny to see how directory services concepts and grove concept are so
similar. Funny also to see that these two community do not talk each other.

Adam, I am glad someone talked about grove that way. I was used to Steve
Newcomb to say that (Have you seen or played with his grove minder - a nice
product too) but, we do not ear that discourse very often from others. There
is more (as you said) in that concept than simply supporting the sgml model.
Ok, I'll refrain my enthusiasm and get back to work, I have a presentation
to prepare.

By the way wednesday my presentation is named "the enterprise portal" and
uses topic maps document for exchange and internally groves for processing.
And you know what? I got the same sentence "addressable enterprise data" in
one slide :-)

If you have good pointers on groves, please, let me know, I always
interested to see waht's happening in the "grove world"

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com