RE: About columns?

Subject: RE: About columns?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:03:44 -0400
Hi Matthias,

> Didier says:
> I know that. This is the RTF backend. I am interested, however, to listen
> how people created multi column layouts, up to where they could do it.
What
> they wanted to do but couldn't do it because of the implementation
> limitations. Also, interested about tricks people found to reach their
goal
> (i.e. creating a multi-column layout). Did someone found a trick to do an
> asymmetric multi column layout? (Ex: in a two column layout, a column
bigger
> than the other)

Matthias answer:
The trick here would be to implement page-sequence and column-set-sequence.
Unfortunately, nobody found it yet...

Didier says:
I agree that this would be a solution and that this solution is not
necessarily obvious. Speaking more particularly of the way to implement
column-set-sequence, Nisheet (Netscape) reminded me that a non standard
feature in Mozilla allows colum rendition. It may (I just said may) be
possible to implement the colum-set-sequence object with the Mozilla column
rendition object. However, when I tried on paper a complex layout with
page-model and column-set-sequence, the Mozilla engine, even using the area
object (i.e. a CSS box object) is not sufficient. Now the question is: up to
where the DSSSL visual object model is implementable with current Open
source rendition engines. I someone has any answer please stand up. For my
part, I am at the beginning of my exploration.

Now a question to anybody in this list:
Would you find useful to have a DSSSL engine embedded in a browser like for
instance the Mozilla browser?

 Off course, in that case, the possible rendition capabilities are with the
Mozilla rendition objects (all objects are based on the block CSS model). To
fully use the rendition capabilities of the engine, this would require us to
fully implement the html backend and add new characteristics (like for
instance background-color)

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx