Re: pretty printer and PCDATA

Subject: Re: pretty printer and PCDATA
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:24:21 +0200
On Tuesday 7 September 1999, at 9 h 39, the keyboard of Jany Quintard
<quintard.j@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I guess this was adressed in the past, but can't remember how or find
> a solution.

It *seems* you were bitten by the infamous "Significant white-space in XML"
problem, in its "Valid white-space in PCDATA" variant.

>           <nmlist nametype="entity">entity5
>           </nmlist>

The spaces before the end-tag and the end-of-line after "entity5" are legal
PCDATA and even Jade, which knowns your DTD, cannot find there are
semantically insignificant.

> Does anyone know of a solution or a workaround ?

There have been a lot of discussion about this in lists like xml-perl and the newsgroup comp.text.xml. The solutions are:

- type '<nmlist nametype="entity">entity5</nmlist>'
- "trim" the spaces and end-of-lines when they appear at the beginning or ending of a PCDATA node. I know how to do it in Perl (that's what I use) but not in DSSSL, sorry.