RE: sgml property set

Subject: RE: sgml property set
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:22:42 +0200
> There are other forms of hyperlinked data from the same
> source (the HyTime
> editors) in the online version of HyTime at
> ftp://ftp.ornl.gov/pub/sgml/wg8/document/1920.htm . There is
> an HTML-Help
> version of DSSSL at ftp://ftp.ornl.gov/pub/sgml/WG8/DSSSL/readme.htm .
>
> Jim Mason
> James David Mason, Ph.D.

Yes, these documents give a more user friendly presentation of
the sgml property set. But given a certain SGML document instance
it still did not give *me* a clear idea of how the grove is organised.

I had to go over the sgml property set line by line making notes
and drawing pictures showing the dependencies and parent-child
relationships. Only after going over it several times I felt I
had some understanding of the global structure of groves.
This helped, at least for me.

I'm not saying that this particular section is badly written
in the dsssl specification, on the contrary it is a carefully
written section.
What I'm trying to point out is that perhaps the contents of the
sgml property set is not that easy. Therefore, one cannot expect
to understand the grove concept after going through it only once.
No matter how nice one presents the sgml property set, it will
never be an easy piece.

pieter

--
Pieter Rijken                          E-mail: pieter.rijken@xxxxxx

CMG Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.
Division Advanced Technology
Nieuwekade 1-19
P.O. Box 8038                 Phone: +31 30 2339300
3503 RA Utrecht               Fax:   +31 30 2339495
The Netherlands

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
            does it represent an official position of, CMG
            Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.