Re: Formatting_the_result

Subject: Re: Formatting_the_result
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:10:37 +0100 (BST)
]
] I meant:
]
] <A>
] Hello
] <B>world!</B>
] </A>

That is OK as the `Hello' is there. But if the <B> came first (or `Hello'
wasn't here)

<A>
<B>world!</B>

Then the record end after A would be ignored or not depending
on whether PCDATA was allowed in the content model of A.
If  PCDATA is allowed in the content of A (so it has mixed content)
but is restricted to not be the first element, eg the content model
is (B,#PCDATA) then the new line is not ignored (and generates a parse
error, as data is not allowed there). If on the other hand the B is not
in the content model, but is allowed there because it is in a +
inclusion in some parent element of A, then the rules are different
again and the newline may or may not be ignored, depending on what comes

(This is why XML restricts PCDATA to always be in an or group.)

David
(I think I got that right. The best bit is the footnote on page 322
that explains that these rules are there to simplify things. Clearly the
footnote is needed, else you may be mistaken into assuming the rules are
there to complicate things:-)