Re: Formatting_the_result

Subject: Re: Formatting_the_result
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:47:18 -0500
Quoting G. Ken Holman <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> At 99/10/05 13:32 -0400, Ron Ross wrote:
> >On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Brandon Ibach said:
> > >    Actually, I was just suggesting we give users the option of having
> > > OpenJade *not* put the newlines into the tags, and let them worry
> > > about line length themselves, rather than having OpenJade try to sort
> > > it out.
> >
> >If I can add my 2¢ again, I would second this motion if it obviates a
> >lot of non-trivial work. It seems to me that it would produce output
> >that is more readable and easier to "fix" in an editor that lets the
> >user navigate the markup intelligently (such as Emacs-Psgml).
>
> I would *only* support such an option if it was made painful to use and if
> it were made obvious to a user about the impact on their data and then I
> would only support it under protest as I think it will be misleading for
> people.

   Okay... one more time.  I *only* suggested that we give Jade an
option which would cause it to *not* add the newlines inside of tags.
As you just pointed out in your last message, Ken, this makes *no*
difference in what a parser sees when reading the document.  I'm not
talking about doing anything different in the actual data, just
eliminating the extra newlines *inside* of the tags.

-Brandon :)