RE: More Word-97 Woes with valid JADE output

Subject: RE: More Word-97 Woes with valid JADE output
From: "Nilsson, David F" <dfnilsson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:38:30 -0400
I assume you have fast saves turned off. If fast saves are not turned off,
the document can grow without your knowledge and may behave oddly,
particularly if you are connected to a network. If fast saves have been on,
the document will usually shrink considerably if you turn them off and then
save the document.

Word97 does have some never-fixed memory problems that can cause graphics to
disappear when a document is reopened. Some of my colleagues have had
graphics replaced by a red X when they've reopened documents. All the
graphics have had to be reinserted. Word does seem unreliable for documents
over 100 pages when those documents have been created and edited in Word
(paragraph numbering, in particular, can vanish in unpredictable ways).

I'm concerned, however, that you are having problems when just using Word as
an output format for files in a markup language.

My company uses an in-house markup language for certain engineering
documents and then uses a custom engine (not using DSSSL) to create
FrameMaker, Word, or HTML files. Most large documents (1,000-plus pages)
have been created in Frame, but we now have a client who wants all files in
Word. Does anyone have experience with creating large Word files from files
in a markup language?

Dave N.
David F. Nilsson
Training & Documentation Dept.