RE: processing RTF documents

Subject: RE: processing RTF documents
From: "joseph, Gershon" <Gershon_joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:50:20 +0200
I have achieved impressive results with Omnimark, both RTF2SGML conversions,
transformations between DTDs, and even producing HTML and RTF versions of
SGML documents. Using Omnimark, I can get the RTF I want, which is not
always the case with Jade's current RTF backend. While Omnimark is NOT easy
to learn (though I found it easier than DSSSL), once you have mastered it
you'll use it for all sorts of text processing. It's now my default tool for
all transformations and outputs.

I have Omnimark programs that take RTF to SGML. The first pass uses Rick
Geimer's RTF2XML as-is. I then process the XML files to generate SGML
according to my DTD. The conversion retains ALL the information in the RTF
files, including links to graphics and cross references. The source Word
files make good use of paragraph and character styles, and I use that
information to correctly tag the SGML. If your contributors use styles
rather than local formatting, it's easy for Omnimark programs to use that
information in generating correctly tagged SGML. If your authors use local
formatting, the Omnimark program has to guess based on the local formatting,
which is more prone to errors.

Hope this helps some.

Gershon

Gershon Leib Joseph