RE: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems [& other stuff!]

Subject: RE: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems [& other stuff!]
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:36:52 +0900
Jany Quintard wrote:
> While processing a TeX file with PDFJadeTeX, I get the error :
>   ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=21903].
>   \fFamName ->Times-
>                     Roman
>   l.27113 {1}}

I just installed JadeTeX and PDFJadeTeX and I had the same problem. I fixed
it by adding the lines:

pool_size.jadetex = 300000
pool_size.pdfjadetex = 300000

to my texmf.cnf file (in texmf/web2c). I also had to add:

hash_extra.jadetex = 20000
hash_extra.pdfjadetex = 20000

. (Someone is going to tell me these values are massive overkill, I can feel
it.) So far it is working fine on my (extremely simple) example.

BTW, to the JadeTeX maintainers: I had a devil of a time figuring out how to
install this, and I am not even a TeX newbie. The documentation is extremely
skimpy. I didn't even realize that the macros were included in the
distribution until I tripped across them, and then I didn't know how the
heck I was supposed to turn those format files into executables...! (BTW,
after doing some research and guesswork I discovered that all you need to do
is create a symbolic link to "latex" and "pdflatex" with the same name as
the basename of the .fmt file.... in case anyone else was wondering.) The
other problem I had was that there was no "hugelatex" included in my teTeX
distribution, but I managed to create jadetex.fmt with the usual latex; I
hope that doesn't cause problems for me in the future.

But the results were worth waiting for; it looks beautiful!

--FAC