Re: DocBook an TeX backend

Subject: Re: DocBook an TeX backend
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:21:01 +0000 (GMT)
Frank A. Christoph writes:

 > 5a) Is there an easy way to figure out the names of the font families
 > available in my TeX installation? The only ones I know are cmr, cmss and
 > cmtt.

JadeTeX has a table matching up `real' font names to TeX font
names. Not ideal, not documented, sigh.

What is your TeX installation? basically, you can look at what font
metric (.tfm) files are installed.

 > 5b) I would like to replicate the font settings that you get with the
 > default LaTeX article style. Does someone know what the relevant settings
 > would be?

set the relevant font families to

Computer-Modern-Typewriter
Computer-Modern-Sans
Computer-Modern

though why you'd want to do that, I don't know...

 > 5c) Also, I have heard that there is a set of fonts called "Blue Sky" which
 > work well with PDF output. What are the names of those fonts?

the same. they are Type1 versions of the Computer Modern fonts, which
you need to use if you are making PDF. Many traditional TeX systems
use bitmap fonts, which is BAD BAD BAD for PDF. But this is a backend
issue, not a font naming or core TeX issue; you need to make sure the
driver (or pdfTeX) has access to the Type1 fonts. You'll see
immediately if they dont

Sebastian