Re: displaying dashes

Subject: Re: displaying dashes
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:22:50 +0100
> From: "Lassi A. Tuura" <lat@xxxxxx>

[...]

> Here's another patch to jade from about a year ago.  Hope someone
> integrates either this or Brandon's patch into openjade one day...
>

> The solution consists of:
>  - this code in `void TeXFOTBuilder::characters(const Char *s, size_t n)':
>       case '-':
>       case '<':
>       case '>':
>         os() << "\\NoLigCharacter{" << int(*s) << "}";
>         break;
>
>  - this addition to jadetex.ltx:
>      \def\NoLigCharacter#1{\char#1{}\ifnum\Mathcount>1\relax\else\mbox{}\fi}
>
> That is, it adds `\mbox{}' after the character to avoid ligature
> composites -- but only if we are not in a math flow object (I think :-).
>
> If you approve this change, I'll send a patch to James.

I have incorporated a similar solution in the current development version
of OpenJade (the change being that I keep track of the math nesting in
the backend itself and only emit the ligature breaker (\/ instead of
\mbox{}) only if not in math mode. This avoids jadetex changes).

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606