RE: Can anyone suggest a good DSSSL book...

Subject: RE: Can anyone suggest a good DSSSL book...
From: "Maltby, David G" <david.g.maltby@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:35:42 -0800

Charles -

There are no books solely on the subject of DSSSL.  There are several books
that devote a chapter (or less) to DSSSL.  I can suggest:

"SGML at Work" Danny Vint; ISBN 0136365728
"The XML Handbook" Goldfarb, Prescod; ISBN 0130811521

Your best bet, IMHO, is to start with the OpenJade site
http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/index.html.

- Before starting with the tutorials listed on the OpenJade site, learn
something about Scheme.  There are online references on the OpenJade site
and many good books (my favorite is "The Little Schemer" Freidman,
Felleisen).
- Do both tutorials completely.
- Read this lists archives.
- Stay plugged into this list, there is not a day that goes by when at least
one pearl of wisdom is not dropped.
- Get Norm Walsh's Modular Style Sheets for Docbook.  Even if your not doing
Docbook, there are hundreds of DSSSL problems solved that are applicable to
any DTD.
- Don't reinvent the wheel, read the DSSSL Procedure Library and Cookbook.
- Keep a copy of the DSSSL standard handy.

Best of Luck, David Maltby