Re: Length Specifications

Subject: Re: Length Specifications
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 22:09:33 +0100 (CET)
On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Simon Pepping wrote:

> I find the section on Length Specification in the DSSSL standard
> (12.5.2) very vague. Do I miss some relevant text elsewhere in the
> standard?

I don't know what you think is vague, but if you read on to section 12.5.3
Decoration Areas, you'll se another use for length specs in
decorated-area-width and -height. See also 12.6.27.3 about the table-unit
procedure.

> >From the jade backends I see that Length Specification lengths are
> expressed in 1/1000th of a point. Where is this specified?

This is an implementation detail, and not specified in the standard.

> LineSpacing is a Length Specification. That seems to mean that it can
> be specified as a displaysizefactor, which is a factor of the
> horizontal width (in LR typesetting). What is the use of this? I think

I remember an old posting by James Clark (check the archives), where he
said that it is somewhat random whitch charics got length-spec values and
whitch got plain length values. I don't know actually.

 > jadetex does not pick up such a specification (no usage of
> \LineSpacingFactor).

See TeXFOTBuilder::computeLengthSpec() in jade/TeXFOTBuilder.cxx. It is
handled there, not in the TeX code.

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson
--