RE: Pictures

Subject: RE: Pictures
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:39:21 +0100
Hi Jany,

> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > I often go for vacation to the Nederland. I ussually travel
> with my bike and
> > my hotel is basically my tent (So I carry all my luggage on
> my bike).
> >
> > What you said caught my interest. Sorry for the intermezzo
> from DSSSL.
> >
> > What is the Elfstedentocht?
> It is the eleven (elf) cities (sted(en)) race (tocht), a race on skate
> between 11 cities of Vriesland/Fryslan. It is possible only
> when there is
> enough ice.
> I am surprised that the name of this is a dutch one, and not
> a frisian.
> Or maybe the outer world knows only the dutch one?
>
> Someone knows ?

Also the dutch only know the 'dutch' name. I'm sure that in Friesland
(nothern province of the Netherlands) the people only know it by the
'Fries' name! ;-)
By the way, 'Fries' is considered a language in its own good right, not
some sort of variation on dutch. Naturally only the 'Fries' people think
this is the case, whereas the rest of the netherlands....... :-)

pieter

P.S. I don't know the 'Fries' expression for 'Elfstedentocht'.