RE: Pictures

Subject: RE: Pictures
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:54:18 +0100
Dear Didier,

> Last time I went to Friesland I noticed that some words are
> very similar to
> the english language and that the language spoken by old

Yes, that is true. There are a lot of similarities between
the language spoken in Friesland and (I think) Scotland. This
is because in ancient times there was a close relation between
the fishermen of Scotland or Friesland.

> people (I only
> heard the friesland language sopken by old persons) is very
> different than
> dutch.

You're right on this one too. If the people of Friesland speak
slowly on average one can understand 25 to 40% of the words and
from the context guess another 20%.
'Fries' is recognized as an offical language in The Netherlands
and is teached at schools in Friesland. There is also a 'Fries'
dictionary. This in contrast to dialects which are bound to regions
and for which no dictionary exist.

On t.v. I heard that a japanese professor wrote a Japanese-Fries
dictionary!!

pieter