RE: calling external functions

Subject: RE: calling external functions
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:33:34 -0500
Hi Holger,

Holger said:
I repeatedly run over problems where I have to insert some information
into a SGML document which cannot be computed (at reasonable cost) from
within Jade. Lots of things like the URL of the "next" document, things
might be passed into variables, but sometime the result has to be computed
from context data which is only accessible to jade. Transforming text only
inside specific elements is such an example.

Didier reply:
Do your processing occurs before any styling? Said differently, do you want
to change the SGML document structure or content before applying a style to
it?

Just as an exploration question:
If, for example, you would have the capability to have access to the GROVE
with an API, and that this GROVE would be accessible from other languages
like Python, Perl, etc... If, in a dsssl-specification you could include the
Python script (just as an example) and have this script called and executed
before the styling script. Would this be useful?

So the script document would be like

<dsssl-specification>
<transformation-specification language="python">
... your Python script here ....
<transformation-specification>
.... DSSSL styling language .....
</dsssl-specification>

The engine would first run the "transformation-specification" section and
this latter followed by the "style-specification" section. The Python script
would have constructs giving it access to the GROVE to perform either
transformation or modification of the original document.

So, would this help you to resolve your problem?

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com