Re: Placing sosofos at page coordinates

Subject: Re: Placing sosofos at page coordinates
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:16:41 -0600
Quoting Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I wrote a DSSSL to describe the layout for my letters. Now, I would like
> to be able to place the address of the recipient at particular x and y
> coordinates on the paper in order to be able to use mail enveloppes with
> a window.
>
> I am using Jade with Tex backend to produce PS and PDF documents.
> Is it possible and how? ;-)

   There's no real straightforward way to do this, because DSSSL
doesn't have support for absolute positioning.  However, assuming that
there isn't too much content appearing before the address, and that it
isn't too complicated, you could probably make this work (with a
little trial and error).
   For instance, if the form of your letter was something like:
						Philippe Casidy
						123 Someplace In.
						France 123-456
	Brandon Ibach
	123 Otherplace In.
	Wisconsin 53246

then you should be able to figure in the top margin, how many lines
are in the first address and how tall each of those lines are.  Then,
you should be able to come up with a figure for how much space you'll
need before the second address in order to line it up in the window.
This would be where the trial and error comes in, as you may need to
adjust that amount to make it work out just right.
   Of course, this would easy to do in the actual Postscript, because
you could just tell Postscript right where you want it.  But, that's
the price we pay for having a system like DSSSL handle the details of
typesetting for us... it handles them *all*. ;)

-Brandon :)