RE: calling external functions

Subject: RE: calling external functions
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:27:16 -0500
Hi Holger

Holger said:
The problem I have is that I want to get an SGML document, transform
it into another DTD and while doing this I want to mark partcicular
parts of some of the (recursively nested) elements. Not all elements
in the original document have to be processed, the relevant text
parts have to be identified by regular expressions and attributes for
the resulting elements (may) come from an external SQL database.

What bugs me that these things seem so easy in Omnimark.

Didier reply:
Holger your use case can greatly help build use cases for DSSSL-2. But it is
important that I get it right so that the right input gets fed into the
DSSSL-2 design especially concerning the templates. If I understand you
well, you have an original SGML (or XML) document that you want to transform
into an other DTD and some elements are in fact coming from an SQL database.
Then the result gets rendered. Your problems are that you cannot transform
the document, during this transformation to include new elements coming from
a database, then finally render the document. Is it right? An other
question, with Omnimark, to do the same thing, are you using two Omnimark
scripts (one to transform and add elements coming from a database and an
other one to render) or are you using Omnimark to transform and OpenJade to
render?

We'll explore further if I got it right. However, I want to check with
others if this should be a private exchange or if this is interesting for
the other members of this list. If the other members of this list think that
this is not of public interest then we will continue this exchange in
private conversation.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx