Re: images, notations, backends

Subject: Re: images, notations, backends
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:59:46 +0000 (GMT)
Adam Di Carlo writes:
 > in SGML.  As you now, different backends like different image formats.
 > For instance, if you're producing DVI or PS with JadeTeX, you use EPS
 > format.  If you're producing PDF (with PDFJadeTeX), your figures need
 > to be in PDF format.

This is not really true. If you produce a dvi file, it simply has
reference to a graphic file, which the dvi-to-whatever processors
needs to expand. which formats are supported depends on the dvi
processor, therefore.  pdfTeX is more limited, as it _does_ include
the graphic up front, but even so the current version can handle JPEG,
PNG, TIFF and PDF.

Getting dvips to grok eg .gif files is not that hard. I appreciate
your discussion, but in this context I am not convinced its really needed.

Sebastian