Re: Issues with literate programming DSSSL Script

Subject: Re: Issues with literate programming DSSSL Script
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:45:16 -0600
Quoting Frank A. Christoph <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Most modern languages don't really need chunk reordering, (each block above
> is called a chunk; an ordering of chunks is called a ribbon) but Knuth was
> way ahead of his time, and needed to do real work with stone age tools. He
> also used WEB to do things like macros and source versioning (via so-called
> change files). Don't forget TeX was originally written in Pascal...!

   Ah... so the reordering features of WEB have basically been
replaced by a combination of features built into the languages,
preprocessors, and the more elaborate version control systems, among
other things, I suppose.
   It's been interesting to dig into TeX (I've been going through the
TeXbook again) and think about what the state of the art was when
Knuth created it.  For that matter, what other major typesetting
systems are there, nowadays?  And what do they really have over TeX?

-Brandon :)