Re: Chinese and DSSSL

Subject: Re: Chinese and DSSSL
From: "Kent Tong" <kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:46:30 +0800
> Subject: Re: Chinese and DSSSL
>
> Kent Tong wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I've created an DocBook document containing chinese characters.
> > Jade+DSSSL can generate the corresponding .htm file properly, but
> > there is something wrong with the .rtf file generated, ie, when
> > I open it with (Chinese) Word 95 or the Word Viewer, it shows
> > a box in the place of each Chinese character.
> >
> AFAIK there are several encoding types for chinese characters around.
> It might be possible that you have to select the encoding inside rtf
> by hand. You might be able to get these codings from valid chinese
> rtf documents.

Following your advice I managed to show the Chinese characters
by changing the font table in the rtf header. However, there are
still two problems left:

* If english words are embedded in a Chinese paragraph, the line breaks
  always occur at the spaces between the english words. That is, it
  seems to think the adjacent Chinese characters actually form a very
  long word and therefore prefers not to break this long word. In fact,
  we Chinese do not use spaces to separate any Chinese characters.

  If there any way to tell it that space that it can break anywhere
  it likes among the Chinese text?

* The font table generated is:

{\fonttbl
{\f2\fnil\fcharset0 Arial;}
{\f3\fnil\fcharset128 Arial;}
{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}
{\f1\fnil\fcharset128 Times New Roman;}
}

  For it to work, I need to it to:

{\fonttbl
{\f2\fnil\fcharset0 Arial;}
{\f3\fnil\fcharset136\fprq2 <NAME OF A CHINESE FONT>;}
{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}
{\f1\fnil\fcharset136\fprq2 <NAME OF A CHINESE FONT>;}
}

  Why does DSSSL use charset 128? Any way to make it generate the
  correct charset and font name? As I just started studying DocBook
  yersterday, please help me! Thanks!

--
Kent Tong, M.Sc., MCSE, MCP+I
FREE advice to enhance your business with IT