Re: Chinese and DSSSL

Subject: Re: Chinese and DSSSL
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:15:20 -0400 (EST)
At 16 Feb 2000 11:46 +0800, Kent Tong wrote:
 > Following your advice I managed to show the Chinese characters
 > by changing the font table in the rtf header. However, there are
 > still two problems left:
 >
 > * If english words are embedded in a Chinese paragraph, the line breaks
 >   always occur at the spaces between the english words. That is, it
 >   seems to think the adjacent Chinese characters actually form a very
 >   long word and therefore prefers not to break this long word. In fact,
 >   we Chinese do not use spaces to separate any Chinese characters.
 >
 >   If there any way to tell it that space that it can break anywhere
 >   it likes among the Chinese text?

Word probably hasn't been told that your text is Chinese.  As a simple
test, you can select the text in Word and change its language (in
English-language Word, under the "Tools" menu).

If that is the problem, add "lang" attributes to your DocBook markup
as appropriate.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632