Re: OT: scheme conventions

Subject: Re: OT: scheme conventions
From: Angus Lees <gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 16:53:38 +1100
On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 10:58:49PM -0600, Brandon Ibach wrote:
> Quoting Angus Lees <gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > .. i'm new to scheme (and lisp) and there's something i haven't seen
> > explained anywhere:
> >
> > what do the naming conventions $sym$, %sym% (, etc?) mean?
> >
> > (i think i've also seen it with only the leading character ($sym), i
> > presume that means the same thing?)
> >
>    Where do you see these conventions used?  Just in DSSSL specs that
> you've looked at?  As I recall, Norm Walsh uses these in the DocBook
> stylesheets, and he can probably give a summary of his usage.  For
> DSSSL/Scheme in general, though, I don't believe there are any real
> rules.

guile (the only other scheme implementation i've really looked at) has
such things as '%search-path', '%load-hook', '$sqrt', '$expt'.  i
notice that slib only uses '%sym' and even then not often.

i'm presuming its a "this is a global" or "this is a constant" type
thing, i was just surprised that i've never seen it mentioned
anywhere.

--
 - Gus