problem transforming SGML to XML

Subject: problem transforming SGML to XML
From: "Steve Chen" <schen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:25:36 -0800
I am trying to convert Open Financial Exchange (OFX) documents to XML
programmatically, and integrate it into my Java application for financial
data exchange.  OFX is based on SGML.  I thought using Balise or XMetal from
SoftQuad would be a possibility, but apparently, the OFX DTD is invalid, and
both Balise and XMetal return errors.  SX from James Clark can handle it on
Windows, but I have not successfully built it on SunOS, which is my
deployment machine.

I am not that familiar with DSSSL, other than its relationship to XSL.
What's my best bet?

thanks,

Steve