Re: belle page

Subject: Re: belle page
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:43:12 +0100 (BST)
Brandon Ibach writes:
 > > Is there a way to force the beginning of a chapter on an odd numbered
 > > page (a page on the right side of the book ?). The frenche name must be
 > > something like "belle page", but I don't know the english name :-(
 > >
 >    Alas, there appears to be no way to force this in [Open]Jade, right
 > now, as the simple-page-sequence object doesn't support any mechanism
 > to do so.  It seems we'd have to have support for the page object, or
 > some type of non-standard extension to simple-page-sequence.

you could add a non-standard attribute, surely? easier than the full
"page" object.

 > object that look horrendously complicated.  Perhaps it would not be so
 > hard to support the page object, coupled with a fairly simplistic
 > non-standard (or just a subset of the standard) column-set object.  It
 > may be worth looking into, but of course, we'd need to have the
 > experts in the various formatting backends give their opinions on the
 > difficulty involved.

I remember some years ago asking James Clark about this, and he
demonstrated to me that it would be a nightmare for the TeX backend,
because of things like footnotes, floats and sidebars which would all
come out of sequence. Still, maybe it could work.

Sebastian