Re: belle page

Subject: Re: belle page
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:27:39 +0100 (BST)
Wroth, Mark writes:

 > I have never been convinced that implementing page-sequence in TeX
 > is as difficult as the (informed) opinion on this list would have it.
 > This may be because I don't _understand_ what is implied by
 > page-sequence

I am not sure that many of us do! I am sure I dont

 > But this discussion causes me to wonder how much of the confusion
 > is generated by the design decision to base JadeTeX on LaTeX rather
 > than more primitive TeX definition.

I don't buy that. Anything you can do in plain TeX we can use in
jadetex. I don't say its easy, but we can do it, even if it means a
new output routine.

 > I guess what I'm saying is that I think the (PDF)TeX engine is
 > capable of handling everything I understand of the page-sequence and
 > column-set needs.

yes. I agree that TeX could do the job. If
EITHER
 - the backend tells it exactly what to do in TeX language
OR
 - the macros attempt to understand what to do from DSSSL-like language

currently jadetex is predicated on the assumption that the latter
method can solve all problems. I now believe that this was a mistake,
and that the former route is needed. which means a butt-load of C++
programming in jade by someone who understands TeX well.

sebastian