Re: "rule" object in Jade/RTF

Subject: Re: "rule" object in Jade/RTF
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:11:49 -0500
Quoting Toby Speight <streapadair@xxxxxxx>:
> Brandon> From a practical standpoint, however, I'd call this a bug in
> Brandon> the standard.  It is so common for rules to be horizontal
> Brandon> that it makes sense for this to be the default, I think.
>
> That's arguable: I'd say that rules tend to be more common parallel to
> the progression direction.  So while I agree with you for left-to-right
> or right-to-left text, I think you'll find horizontal rules to be in
> the minority for vertical text.

   I can certainly agree with that.  Perhaps the standard should allow
options for this property which specify the orientation in terms of
the progression direction, with "parallel" being the default.

> This could be defaulted in the standard, but it's not *that* onerous
> to always specify, is it?  (I think it makes DSSSL code clearer, given
> that we tend to perceive vertical and horizontal lines as different
> things.)

   I could agree with that, too, as long as the implementation issues
at least a warning for a rule object with no orientation specified.
As it stands, so far as I have seen, the [Open]Jade code would simply
ignore the rule object, if it weren't for the default.  This is not a
nice trick to pull on an unsuspecting user. ;)

-Brandon :)