Re: PDF backend for (Open)Jade

Subject: Re: PDF backend for (Open)Jade
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:27:56 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 7 May 2000, Christof Drescher wrote:

> > This, however will be a problem for implementing features which
> > require bidirectional communication between the backend and the
> > style engine, like indirect sosofos.
>
> Yet, I don't see the needs for bidirectional communication here - could you
> please specify that? Furthermore, is this feature implemented in OpenJade
> yet? Do you have examples for the usage of it?

How would you implement general-indirect-sosofo of 12.5.1.1? It takes a
procedure as its first argument. It is not implemented yet, since no
backend support it. It is, however, not that hard to do when it is needed.

Examples include:
- dictinary heads
- index entries (i.e. you have a list of page numbers and you want to sort
them, coelesce ranges and so on)
- "See figure 4.3 (p. 59)", where the page reference want be there if the
figure and the reference are on the sam page.
- etc.

Some of these could be done by, for example, an extended
format-number-list.

I'm no JAVA guru, but would it be that hard to use the style library from
a java application directly (with some wrapper)?

Regards,
/Peter
--